The Hub is a "one-stop-shop" where students can access support in a safe, positive space on campus. Students may access the Hub for many reasons including:
- Mental and emotional health
The strength in the Hub lies in all of these services being located in a central space. The Hub is manned all day, every day by Heads of Student Support and the Student Welfare Team.
HEADS OF STUDENT SUPPORT
Heads of Student Support are senior teachers who have responsibility for year levels. The Heads of Student Support work with the Student Welfare Team, parents, teachers and students to maximise the success of students in their learning and development of life skills. The primary role of Heads of Student Support is to assist and support students to overcome any barriers they may face in meeting the school's expectations of student behaviour. There are three Heads of Student Support in our school.
POSITIVE BEHAVIOUR FOR LEARNING – PBL
Oakey State High School is committed to nurturing respectful and inclusive relationships within our school community to ensure RESPECT, EXCELLENCE, PARTICIPATION, PERSONALITY and SAFETY are evident every day. Our students own their learning, believe in their abilities and strive to achieve their goals.
At Oakey State High School, our aim is to foster a whole school ethos that focuses on positive behaviours and attitudes. To achieve this, Oakey State High School identifies as a PBL school. PBL stands for POSITIVE BEHAVIOUR FOR LEARNING.
Our school values guide our decision-making, teaching and learning and are central to our conversations about how we see our community operating and the policies and practices we follow. The first step in doing this is directly teaching students our values, expectations and the behaviours we want students to demonstrate at school.
Our values are:
Respect: Respect for self and others, regardless of difference or diversity.
Excellence: Setting goals and working towards achieving our best.
Participation: Actively engaging in learning and living.
Personality: Being somebody who is dependable and a role model.
Safety: Thinking and behaving safely in relation to self and others.
Oakey State High School's PBL Program contains the following:
- The explicit teaching of our values and expected behaviours by all staff,
- The promotion of our school values and expectations through signage around the school,
- Engaging videos presented on full school assembly,
- The rewarding of students for following our school's values and expectations through VIVOs,
- Encouraging students to SPEAK UP, SPEAK OUT (SUSO) when they see behaviour that is unsafe,
- Active supervision by staff in non-classroom settings, which encourages and reinforces our values and expectations.
- Support planning for students who are struggling to meet our school community's values and expectations.